A batch of tainted nacho cheese sold at Valley Oaks Food and Fuel, a gas station in Northern California, spiced an outbreak of botulism, a terrible disease which has already made a victim. Now, Californian health officials have confirmed a second death related to this disease.
Gas station cheese infected with botulism
Ten people got infected with the disease after they consumed tainted nacho cheese sold at the Californian gas station. The cheese is produced by Gehl Foods, a company based in Wisconsin, which has not issued a recall on the product yet. On May 24th, a man who contracted the disease from the tainted cheese died.
Botulism made its second victim in California, but the officials claim this case was not related to the gas station incident. They discovered that the person received a botulism diagnose a month ago, and now he lost the battle with the deadly disease.
The infection can be deadly
The disease is a severe type of food poisoning caused by the Clostridium botulinum bacteria. The victim experiencing paralysis of the face, which then gradually spreads to the entire body. Sometimes, it might lead to the paralysis of the lungs, when the patient can no longer breathe and dies. This is not a common disease in the US, as there are reported only 200 botulism cases per year.
The first victim claimed by botulism was Martin Galindo-Larious Jr, a 37-year-old man who suffered lung paralysis and could not breathe without external assistance. Doctors decided to put him off life support, and he died several hours later. From the other nine victims, a woman is still kept on respirators and is in a critical condition.
Many residents are now scared not to contract a botulism infection. However, officials announced it can be cured with antitoxin injections. If a person gets infected from a wound, then he has to undergo surgery and remove the tissue. Complications arise if the patient experiences paralysis and it reaches the lungs.
Image Source: Flickr