In Russia, 33 people died because of alcohol poisoning. On December 19, Russian authorities reported that in Siberia, several people died after consuming bath essence which contains methanol. This is a toxic substance used in antifreeze. The Investigative Committee has opened an investigation, analyzing the deaths which were provoked by swallowing a liquid known as hawthorn-scented bath essence.
Dmitry Medvede, the Prime Minister, requested for a solution to this fake alcohol problem, claiming that these drinks represent a total indignity, especially because they are spread all over the country, even being available in vending machines. In Irk utsk, 54 individuals were carried to hospitals in the area after consuming this alcohol drink.
A spokeswoman who is a representative of the regional branch of the Investigative Committee stated that, unfortunately, 33 people out of 54 Russians have died. After analyzing these unfortunate cases, authorities have examined the liquid and have established that it contains a dangerous substance known as methanol. Based on several reports, 17 to 20 other people are currently receiving treatment in three different hospitals in Siberia.
The Health Ministry has declared that almost all these people are in a critical condition, being treated in the intensive care department. Investigators have stated that all these victims were inhabitants of the same neighborhood called Nobo-Latino.
The bottles carried a label primarily designed to warn people that the liquid is not suitable for consumption. Nevertheless, this liquid substance was consumed as if it were alcohol. What is more, facial toners and cheap perfumes are usually bought without carrying a label which would say “unsuitable for consumption.”
Thus, they are sold without imposing some restrictions which prohibit use. Usually, those who consume these products as if they were alcoholic drinks, they are generally disadvantaged people.
Investigators have developed search raids at different markets to establish where the dangerous product was being distributed. They have confiscated approximately five hundred liters of this dangerous liquid.
What is extremely dangerous and also very well-known for everyone, household products containing alcohol and homemade spirits are extremely popular among Russians being used a cheap alternative to alcohol standard brands. There is no surprise that this type of outputs is blamed for several cases of alcohol-related deaths.
Image courtesy of: pixabay