Awareness on the matter should be raised as “Toxic Shock Syndrome” almost killed a Michigan teenager. The girl complained of body aches on the eve of January 2nd and a couple of days later she fell into a comma.
Everything started with body aches that were attributed to the common flu, but after a few days in which the condition of Rylie Whitten, the 15 years old Michigan teenager, got worse, her parents rushed her to the emergency room.
The doctors first tested Rylie for spinal meningitis and influenza, but the bloodwork showed that she was dealing with a major infection and serious kidney malfunction. Upon seeing the results, she was transported via helicopter to the Children’s Hospital Helen DeVos where doctors managed to discover that she was actually suffering from “Toxic Shock Syndrome” due to the usage of a tampon.
The syndrome is highly dangerous and it is able of taking over and destroying all of the vital organs in a person’s body, and this is what it did to Rylie Whitten. The Michigan teenager was extremely lucky as the odds of suffering shock, permanent organ damage or even death because of the “Toxic Shock Syndrome” are 50 percent.
At the present moment, the young woman is out of immediate danger, she is breathing on her own and is expected to go through a complete recovery. Rylie still has to face the pneumonia she developed while in shock, and her vocal cords were damaged at the moment in which she was intubated. But the best news is that she did not suffer any brain damage while she was in a coma.
“Toxic Shock Syndrome” is an illness with 50% chances of permanent organ damage and death. It is caused by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes. The two types of bacteria produce two different instances of TSS.
The most common one is produced by the Staphylococcus aureus that can develop on tampons that are used improperly. The symptoms alone are scary, the illness starting with signs of fever, low blood pressure, confusion and ending with coma, multiple organ failure and death.
Doctors recommend caution when using tampons that are high absorbent. They shouldn’t be left in the body overnight because they are the main cause of TSS deaths in America.
Tampon manufacturers are obligated by law to list all the possible complications that can arise from improper tampon use. Unfortunately “Toxic Shock Syndrome” almost killed a Michigan teenager that reportedly used the sanitation supplies correctly.
Image source: www.wikimedia.org