Welcome to Council Chronicle, a small yet quaint online news media outlet focused on high-quality reporting and dedicated to its readers. Council Chronicle, referred to as “we”, “us”, “our” or “the website” respects your privacy and understands the importance of safeguarding this personal information whenever you access the website.
- NON PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION: this refers to all data and information that is automatically collected when you access the services, but that cannot be used to directly identify you as an individual. Such information includes, but is not limited to, IP address, internet browser information, operating system type, operating system details, internet service provider details, etc.
2. What information we collect
Council Chronicle collects personally identifiable information which you choose to make available to us. This may occur in a multitude of situations, for instance, when you decide to take part in an online survey, a sweepstakes or a promotion offered on the website. Additionally, personally identifiable information may also be requested upon your decision to register with the website. Also, when you decide to contribute content to the services, you may also be providing personal information which we may collect, including age, gender, hobbies, areas of interests. Note that this information will be visible to all users of Council Chronicle if you have chosen to participate in discussion threads and forums.
Aside from the personal information you choose to share with us, we may also collect additional information that will not identify you as an individual. This information is automatically collected by our servers and includes multiple types of non-personally identifiable information as stated above.
3. Cookies, Web Beacons and other Tracking Software
If you do not wish to have cookies stored on your machine, you may choose to alter the settings of your browser so as to refuse access to cookies or to inform you whenever a cookie is being sent. In addition, you may also delete individual cookies from your machine if you wish to do so. Check the specifics of your internet browser to understand where these settings lie. Note, however, that by deactivating cookies, you effectively decrease your enjoyment of the Services as certain features require cookies so as to function properly.
We, just as other partners, may also choose to use other tracking technologies in order to improve our services. These technologies include Gifs, also known as web beacons or pixel tags, which enable us to know the types of pages that you visit on our website and when you have visited them. IP addresses, for instance, provide us with information as to the place from which you access the internet. Our servers also have the capability of recording the referring page (the page from which your visit to our Services originated from).
We may also collect other information from you, such as the pages that you have visited on our website, how much time you spend on an individual page, the page you visit after leaving the website, which types of advertisements are presented to you and which you click on, computer model information, web browser details, related software information, the settings you are using, specific search terms that you use when browsing, etc.
4. How we use the collected information
We may use the information you provide us in a multitude of ways and for different purposes, as follows:
- We may use the collected information in order to complete your requests or provide you with a service that you have demanded. Additionally, we may also use this information to contact you if you participated in (and won in) a sweepstakes, promotion or if you have taken part in a survey.
- We may use your information in order to process your registration, in order to identify you as a user or to improve on the services, materials and content that we offer.
- We may use the information to perform administrative tasks.
- To provide you with tailored and interest-based advertisement.
- We may use and combine the information we collect in order to better our marketing strategies.
- We may use the information you provide us in order to create demographic analyses of our readership in order to better understand our audience and provide a better-suited, higher-quality service.
5. How and When We Disclose Your Information
Council Chronicle may disclose the information you have provided as follows:
- In the case that you have entered a contest, promotion or sweepstakes sponsored by a third party company, we may choose to share your data with that particular sponsor. They may use this data at their sole discretion, even for direct marketing purposes.
- With third party entities that aid us in administrative tasks or that offer goods and services we deem of interest to you.
- In the case that we need to protect our property or legal rights, we may disclose personal information you have provided.
- In order to comply with governmental agency requests, applicable laws, legal or regulatory processes, regulations, subpoenas or warrants, as well as to cooperate with legal investigations.
- Whenever we fear that the safety of another person is in jeopardy.
- In connection to any type of exchange, transfer, sale, acquisition, merger or bankruptcy, this information may be considered an assed and may be transferred to the acquiring entity.
- In the case that you decide to use the login credentials of specific social networking sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, we may also receive information from that particular platform in accordance to their privacy policies. Similarly, information is shared, in accordance with this agreement, with them.
6. Information Regarding Children
Our website and Services are not designed for the use of children and as such, we do not knowingly access, collect, store or use the personally identifiable information of children under the age of 13. If you are a child and are not at least thirteen years old, please refrain from using the Services. If you are the parent of a child under the age of thirteen and believe that he or she may have disclosed such information with us, please contact us so that we may delete that information.
7. Information Safety and Additional Information
Council Chronicle has certain safety and security measures in place aimed at ensuring that your information is protected against misuse, unauthorized access and disclosure, loss or alteration. Even so, the internet, due to its unsafe nature, doesn’t allow us to fully guarantee the security of your data. Though we strive to protect this information, we offer no warranties or guaranties as to the security of the information that you have chosen to share with us, nor do we promise that such information cannot be intercepted during the time that it is transmitted from you to us. We are in no way responsible for any misuse, theft, inadvertent disclosure, or destruction of your personally identifiable information.
Last Update: 12.08.2015