In New York City rats have spread deadly Leptospirosis which killed one person and infected two other individuals. The Health Department argued that in December two patients were diagnosed with this disease while another one was diagnosed this month. Residents expressed their concern and anger, claiming that they are disappointed to find out about this disease at two months after its outbreak.
They demanded that state officials should act upon the matter to annihilate this deadly Leptospirosis spread by rats. Trace Carrasco has reported that the employees in the New York City Department of Health were dispatched in the 750 Grand Concourse in the Bronx due to the alarming news.
Within a radius of only one block, there have been reported three cases of Leptospirosis. This disease is a bacterial infection which usually spreads when in contact with rat urine. A 43-year-old man was among the three infected individuals. He argued that he is still recovering, feeling better after receiving antibiotics.
Residents were not aware of the fact this rat problem existed for several years. Florence Howard stated that the rats are everywhere, coming from underneath the refrigerator or the stove because they somehow find their way in through hidden holes. The Health Department noted that in New York City there are at least three new cases of Leptospirosis every year.
The deadly leptospirosis is rarely spread from individual to individual but is extremely dangerous. The bacteria penetrate the body through open cuts and wounds at the level of the skin. It is also able to enter the body through mouth, nose or eyes. Some of those who get infected might not develop any symptoms, while others may feel a little feverish, they may experience muscle aches, diarrhea, vomiting and headache chills.
Other patients may develop a severe disease which could affect their liver and kidneys. Those living in the Bronx are currently afraid for their health. Howard pointed out that she needs to wash everything with bleach because those rats are all over the place, getting everywhere as if they were part of the house. Apparently, many doors and walls in the building are boarded up, and this is how rats are able to enter.
Even if residents have complained several times, the super and the landlord of the building did not do anything to solve the issue.
Image source: flickr