A new study has been realized in the United States that proves that contrary to popular belief almost half of the gamers are adults. What is more shocking though is that the percentage of women and men is almost equal. The study named them gamers regarding of whether they were playing video games on the computer, on mobile phones or on the console.
The main researcher of the study, Maeve Duggan, said that for her the results of the study didn’t come as a shock. She continued by saying that due to the recently gained popularity of the video games and because of its diversity the gamer community is only natural.
What came as a surprise for her was the age. While she expected younger people to play a lot of games, she didn’t expect such a high number of older gamers.
Most gamers as shown by the study and as expected are young male adults with ages between 18 and 29 (77%). They are followed shortly by the adults with ages between 30 and 49(58%).Occupying the last place are the people over 65 years with 25% of them still playing computer games.
Another task of the study was to see how many people identify themselves with the notion of gamer. The gamer was described by the researchers as a person who likes games and plays them often. After their definition of a gamer was provided to the volunteers, the gamers were asked if they find themselves in that definition.
The attitude regarding the video games was also analyzed. The surveyed people were asked about their opinion on the violence often portrayed in the games and on the way the women were portrayed. They also asked the participants if they believe that there are lessons to be learned like team work and communication from the video games they played.
40% of the people said that they believe that people who play violent games have the tendency to be more violent, but the majority didn’t believe these were linked.17% of the adults believe that game playing develops a strategic thinking while only 10% think that it promotes communication and teamwork.
With almost 15% of them saying that games are a waste of time, the majority disagrees thus leaving 85% of people. Contrary to popular belief almost half of the gamers are adults who believe they are not only having fun but learning skills useful in the everyday life from their video games.